Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) control the guidelines on how spectrum can be used for every device in Canada.
Spectrum is the radio waves that are used to transport data over the air. Here are a few examples of how spectrum is used:
- Spectrum for cellular networks to carry a radio wave from the towers to your cell phone
- Spectrum for Bluetooth devices to talk to your wireless headset or play music on another device from your phone
- Spectrum for Wi-Fi to talk inside of your home using the router in the basement
- Spectrum for IoT devices for controlling your furnace, lights and scecuity
- Spectrum for garage door openers, opening your car doors or trunk with keyless entry